Thursday 30 August 2012

UCI MTB Marathon Series, Jurmala, Latvia 26th August 2012


Last Sunday I spent just over 24 hours in Latvia, somewhere I had to look at a map while sat on the plane to see where it was.  Just above Lithuania and next to Russia it turned out to be as I expected, very different from the rest of Europe and full of pickled food!!  I was well looked after by the organiser as arriving in a non-English speaking country armed only with a big bike and lycra on my own was a little daunting.  She came round to the hotel organized for me with a map and information about the race so I headed back out on the bike to look at the first section.  The only bit I really found was the beach section, not that useful really, even I can’t get lost down a beach!  It was so surreal riding along there with the locals with kids riding into the sea, I bet the bike shops do well out here!   I found a local restaurant for dinner and had some baked fish, a pile of rice and veg which turned out to be picked gherkins and a bread roll which I found full of lardons when I bit into it, good job I’m not a veggie! 

Breakfast was also a bit different… the table was covered in tapas style snacks, prawns on toast, pate, potato salad and lots of strong smelling fish.  Luckily I found the cereal and toast! 

The elite woman’s race started at 10am on the beach in the sun. The group stuck together down the beach then it got pretty hectic running over the sand dunes and through some single track forest.  One girl in front flew over a tree stump and making sure she was in one piece I chased back the lead group that was soon reduced down to 5. Into the next wooded section I stayed near the front and with some steep sandy climbs and descents and some fun narrow tracks (where I regretted having bar ends on as I nearly wrapped myself round a few trees), I came out with just one other girl.  We rode hard but soon the girls behind had chased back.  I soon learned that one of the local girls wasn’t very good on the technical tracks but was a strong time trialist and she was pulling everyone along.  This happened a few times until we hit half way and the route became a flat open road.  For the rest of the race the route was on open flat windy tracks and farm roads.  The five of us rode together and took turns in the wind but it was very uneventful. 

10km to go we turned into the single tracks again but the markings weren’t so clear and a few of us rode straight on and had to turn round.  Leide Ardave got away and out again on the tracks I started chasing losing the others on my wheel.  7km left and the time trialist, Dana Rozlapa caught me up and we worked together to catch Leide, which was pretty hectic as we were on the last forest single track with loads of fun riders in front.  Along the beach for the last 5km it felt like a South African road race, zig zagging in and out of fun riders while trying to keep contact with each other.  In 3rd place I started sprinting at 500m on the left not realizing how much deeper the sand was on that side but at least clear of traffic.  I came over the line 2nd with a photo finish to 3rd with Dana taking the win. 

Though it was a close finish and I made a few mistakes I was pleased with 2nd place on such a flat course and the presentation with podium, champagne and flowers made it feel like a real international event.  The post race food was cold purple soup and pasta with sausage, surprisingly tasty!  I had time to kill before my taxi back to Riga airport so planned a walk around until the rain started and instead I found a pub with a large screen showing Plouay World Cup and a large plate of chips, avoiding more pickle surprises!  

No comments:

Post a Comment