Tuesday 12 March 2013

Cape Argus Pick and Pay Cycle Tour


Pre Argus ride looking down Chapmen's Peak

10th March 2013

Lining up on the start line for the 4th time it was hard not to feel nervous with such a great atmosphere, music playing and people dancing despite the fact the sun was just coming up.  With such little road racing in my legs, the possibility that I still hadn’t fully recovered from last weeks efforts, as well as the fact we were off with the fast 30 plus men I was preparing for a hard 3 hours.  I was right.  The first climb out of town I was struggling, I looked down to see my heart rate was still low but me legs were screaming. Luckily we turned into the wind and sat mid way back in the group the pace eased off.

The race first split as we turned in land.  I started at the front and crested the top off the back!  Luckily not too far back though and I hung onto the wheels in front to get back to the main group.  With the wind behind now I had no gears at all left and had to concentrate fully on staying within millimeters of the strong men pulling us back.  That effort woke my legs up a bit and up Chapmen’s Peak, after a very near collision with a tandem, I rode a little better and while not in the front group was pretty confident of descending back into the group.  It’s true that if you climb bad you learn to descend well, the desperation to get back to the group always makes you take more risks and by the bottom we were back to the leaders again. 

The last climb I had to ride my own pace.  At the bottom for me it would be a flat out sprint just to stay in the group such was my shocking leg speed so I rode it mountain bike style and by the top had pulled back a small group of biggish men who again descended back to the main bunch which was now a lot smaller. 

The good thing about racing with the fast 30 plus men was that the finish was the least chaotic I have known.  It was easy to position yourself through Camps Bay and towards the end I knew out of the 6 of us girls left I would finish 6th in a bunch sprint if we all lined out on the road.  With that in mind I moved right to the front, 3rd or 4th wheel back risking an early sprint but also avoiding getting blocked in or having to come round anyone.  Two men had a small break in front about 10 meters or so and I watched as one just flew straight up in the air.  My guess is he clipped the wheel of the guy in front.  I managed to dodge it but heard a huge bang behind as someone went straight into him.  The pace eased up then and as we turned into the finish straight the men started sprinting past me.  In top gear I couldn’t get on a wheel and when Annriette and Cherise came past I think I’d been sprinting for 500m already.  Near the line with a strong tail wind I had no gears left and had to sit down as Jennie edged past me.  I came in 4th and while I was disappointed to miss the podium for the first time in 4 years I was happy with the girls who got up there. 

It was very sad to hear the crash involved Sharon Laws who was taken straight to hospital with a compression fracture on her spine and broken ribs and collarbone.  It was a freak accident, which could have happened to anyone but with the Epic coming its extra painful for her after all the preparation for it. 
Me and Phil Liggett


  

No comments:

Post a Comment