Tuesday 5 August 2014

Singletrack6, Rockies Canada 26th-31st July

Having arrived in Canada over a week ago and done nothing but ridden amazing single track like I've never seen I was both pretty tired and excited about the stage race ahead.  We'd already seen so many sights and spent a brilliant week in Jasper and now it was time to get serious and do some racing!!  I was very nervous, unsure if my knee would hold up to 6 days of racing and pretty scared about some of the trails that lay ahead.  Technical riding isn't my strength which was one reason why this race appealed so much, always one for getting out of the comfort zone and trying out new adventures!!

Saturday 26th July
Stage One
West Bragg Creek
40km
1800m elevation

It was an early start to get to the race venue and sign in and the nerves were really kicking in by the 9am roll out to some ACDC in the background.  Up the gravel track to start I was riding ok, not used to racing, fast starts got me breathing hard but I was well positioned with one girl just ahead and feeling ok.  Once we hit the single track I was wishing I was further back as I was constantly pulling over and letting fast riders past.  I tried to keep up through the trees and going a little too fast bashed one and landed hard on my shoulder.  I worried I’d done serious damage and after checking myself and bike over and letting another few dozen past I got going again with a different attitude to look after self and bike a little more!  Climbing up I was feeling pretty strong but kept slipping or getting stumped by the endless roots and scooting along I was loosing more places, catching up then getting stuck.  The climbs were so steep I’m not sure I’ve the strength in my legs yet to fully appreciate the 11 speed.  From the top we rode the Ace of Spades times descent.  As the race was more spread out I only stopped a few times to let people through and by the bottom I was able to catch back up and really enjoyed getting into that hard race zone on a final very rideable climb.  I got all competitive at the top and was determined to have no one catch back up for the final 5km.  The descent was fast and flowy,  rooty as usual but even I felt like I was going fast and finished without having to pull over.  I ended up 4th woman, only a few minutes off the podium so was a bit annoyed I was so polite in letting everyone through. Tomorrow’s route is said to be ‘bluff hugging’  whatever that is and is a ‘rocky and rooty trail with short punchy climbs’.  Umm should be interesting!!
  
Our home for the trip
Stage Two
Nipika
38km
1100m elevation

We set of today in groups of 10, one minute apart as we were straight onto the single track.  Though I started well I lost my nerve after nearly going over the bars on a sudden drop half way down a steep descent.  I stayed upright but it knocked my confidence and I battled after that to ride the technical parts.  I always say in a race I have so much energy that is just mental energy and once that gets used up I start to lose confidence and momentum.  I stopped at the midway feed for some coke and that seemed to lift me up a lot plus the trails were more flowy the second half and gradually I caught and passed a lot of riders.  I came in 4th woman and joined the rest of the finishers in the nearby lake, the perfect recovery. 



Stage Three
Radium
47km
1300m elevation

Last night we found a lovely campsite by a river with lots of sprinklers and grass, a relief from the heat that is following us.  I had been looking forward to getting to Radium to go to the Hot Springs but once here ice cream and freezing river were much more welcome!!  I had a great race today despite breakfast cereal sitting heavy from sleeping late.  I set off in batch B 5 minutes after the top 3 girls so was able to ride my own pace.  My energy seemed to last the whole way today, I had no dips and the course was perfect, lots of fast flowing single track, a good gravel road mid way to make up time then lots of punchy steep climbs and descents near the end where I still felt full of beans, helped by the fact I caught up Jodie so knew I was in 3rd.  She took some holding onto as she is such a fast descender but eventually I got through on a climb.  Both the other girls had lost some time due to some malicious local sending riders the wrong way, Matt got lost 4 times and ended up with a 2 hour time penalty and it affected the lead men too.  Once I was at the point I had hesitated too but by then the problem was been sorted.  In the end they gave me 1st place for the stage and won a bar of soap for my efforts!  
 
Feeling a little short!

Stage Four
Golden
“Welcome to Canada”
30km 1400m elevation

The only thing that suited me on today’s ride was the 5km sprint up the first gravel road and even that in hindsight led to my for coming problems!!  Turning off that well up the group we were straight into the day’s timed descent.   I pulled over at the top and let Michel (Cyclocross champion) pass straight away and a string of men before starting to ride the loose steep trail.  Trouble was no sooner did I start riding did I get the sliding of back wheels behind as more guys flew down behind me.  I’d pull over again, off the line, unclip and let more past so I never got into a steady rhythm and starting again on the steep parts was impossible till in the end I got pretty annoyed with myself really for not having the skills to go faster and be able to ride anything that suddenly sprung up.  Finally at the bottom after a lot of walking and some humor from a rider shouting ‘welcome to Canada’ I was so far down the field and with already 10km of the 30km day over there was no way I was going to pull anything back plus we were straight into a single track climb so there was no pass room anyway.  With no race motivation left I struggled to ride things I would have flown straight over if I was still in amongst the riders I’d been around and at the end of the stage felt less like a mountain biker than ever before.  It took me twice as long to get down that endura section than the leading ladies and my knee wasn’t too happy about the running either! 

The finish line was next to a gorgeous fast flowing freezing cold river and the best part of the day was sitting on the rocks soaking our legs while chatting to other riders.  That night we got the luxury of an unwanted hotel bed, which was a relief, as the campsite we’d found was on stony ground, had no showers, just a muddy lake and was midge hell.  The hotel wasn’t the best, live music just below, no aircon with 27 degrees outside even at night, lights that didn’t work but had a bed and sheets, which was complete luxury!! 

Stage Five
Golden
60km
1400m elevation

Both Matt and me were pretty glad for the extra 10km added onto the stage and looking forward to the smooth trails that lay ahead.   It didn’t disappoint and it was ours and a lot of rider’s favorite stage.  I was riding a lot faster on the smooth trails and keeping up with the front two girls focusing only on the wheel in front and trusting their line completely.  My saddle over one bump tilted back slightly then on another bump really went back so I was riding with the tip really high in the air making it one uncomfortable ride.  I didn’t have the right Allen key for it and it was a long while before anyone passed that was willing to stop and lend me one.  Though it ruined the enjoyment of 15 km or so I was soon back going once I’d adjusted it and feeling good and a lot more comfortable!!  I got back into 3rd place and went as hard as I could.  My breathing sounded terrible, I guess that’s the 5 months off feeling, my mind is stronger than my lungs but I was riding along nicely and trying to put enough time in the bag for the endure section at the end.  That was also a nice descent and I came in along the road in 3rd place and very happy with the whole day quickly forgetting even the dodgy saddle episode and for once relaxing on a real bed for the afternoon even if it was baking hot!    
 
One of the many views I didn't see!
Stage Six
Revelstoke
47km 
1700m elevation

There was some confusion about start times today as we went into Pacific Time.  It felt odd to just change the clocks back from just driving a few hours, it would be like driving from the East to the Lakes and loosing an hour.  All it meant really was an even hotter roll out at 10.30 that was really 11.30 to our bodies!  Up the road out of town we were soon in the shade zipping through forest.  The single track was really flowing and smooth and I held my position well until it became more rooty and hard going later on.  I slipped back to 4th but despite making a real meal of a newly felled rooted area I held that position (also finishing 4th on GC) and made it down the endura section in 9th place out of the woman, my best so far even though by then I hadn’t eaten much at all, the ‘short day’ a lot longer than we anticipated and was wobbling around more than normal!! 

That evening we had a real feast in true Canadian style, its been a short race week with only 17 hours of racing but now its over that post race tiredness crept up no doubt at all from all the concentration and nervous energy, I’m guessing of those 17 hours, 15 of them were on singletrack.  What a great week, nice people, challenging but highly satisfying race days and perfect blue-sky days. 
 
Start line for the last stage
Thankyou to the organisers for a brilliant week of a whole mixture of fun/terrifying trails and thanks so much to Jamie White, Jammer for been our director sportive/skills coach/camp experience extraordinaire even though you did increase my stress levels disappearing into the forest for the day and found us Canadian’s biggest mozzy populated camp site.  I guess I equaled that one by finding the worlds noisiest campsite pitch next to the main train line!!  Thanks also to Rob Fawcett without whom this adventure wouldn’t have happened, to Matt Page for fellow Brit companionship and to my sponsors Asrin, Cyclefunatic of Durbanville  and 32Gi. 
'Master of many trades' Jammer 


No comments:

Post a Comment