Saturday 26 September 2015

11th Hero MTB Himalaya Stage Race, 27th September to 4th October


A number of months ago the organization HASTPA invited me to come and race in the 11th edition of the Hero Himalaya MTB Stage Race.  They would organize everything and not one ever to turn down an opportunity like this I immediately said yes.  Gradually plans were put in place and I started looking at last year’s stages.  The race looked very tough, not only based at altitude but also climbing around 3000m every day, 500km over 7 days and with some days taking the leaders last year over 6 hours.  Rob, my every supportive husband suggest I try get hold of an altitude tent which I quickly dismissed on the grounds that even if we did find one in Yorkshire to rent which sounded highly unlikely, the cat would no doubt claw a hole in it in order to reach her duvet!

With much appreciation HASTPA booked my flight to Delhi all be it from Heathrow and the morning after an event we were working at in Harrogate finished.  So on Sunday night I got on a National Express, toured UK airports and finally arrived at Heathrow at 6am.  I must say despite the time it took, a bus takes all the stress out of travelling and on this one I didn’t even have to trek across London Victoria to change buses.  6 hours to kill/stay awake before getting on my Air India flight to Delhi.  Air India isn’t famous for luxury travel but with roughly one person to every three seats, very friendly staff and good non-spicy food it might have well have been first class travel. I arrived in India quite nervous about getting various taxis to the hotel then to the bus station the next morning but was saved by Srishti, working for the race, who was waiting for me despite it been 2am and who, only 3 hours later got a cab with myself, Andreas and Manuel from Austria to make sure we met the correct bus.  In my mind I pictured the public bus would have a few chickens strapped to the roof and would have 50 standing people in the aisles but instead it had seats that almost fully reclined with comfortable leg rests and I slept nicely till the lunch stop.   About three hours later we started climbing and it felt like the end was near yet the journey went on and on.  We stopped at some rough looking places and the hand gel post toilet stops became very handy.  Our driver who had been on the go since 8.30am was driving like a mad man up the mountain roads overtaking and relying on the horn on blind bends.  I was glad I wasn’t on the valley side of the bus even if the views were impressive.  The lights of Shimla finally came into view and 11 hours after embarking we staggered off to be welcomed by Ashish Sood whom I felt I already knew, as he was the one who answered every rider’s questions via our race Whats App group.  We were checked into one of the best hotels in Shimla; Woodville Palace, in the best part of town amongst the trees and only a short walk to the main tourist street, The Mall.  After a great dinner, sat outside in a restaurant overlooking the hustle and bustle I slept like a log and woke up to the sound of birds and crickets. 

The next few days passed nicely as I gradually got used to the thin air and a sore throat either from the air con on the bus, or the altitude went away. We were taken for a short ride by one of the local riders riding for Hero.  A hero he will be if he finishes the event as he dislocated his wrist a week ago and will be racing with a pot right up to his elbow!  He took us right up to the world’s highest positioned statue at around 2500m altitude I think and as it was the God of Power I asked him quietly if I could borrow a little, he was bright orange and matched my KTM after all!  I also joined Team Rocky Mountain up the main road to where the race would start on Sunday and though we rode easy, the traffic was that bad I am sure my heart rate was through the roof.

Each night that week I ate in the same restaurant until I waved at the chef on the way out and the waiters were super friendly.  I even ended up with one and a half dinners one night after asking for extra sour cream as my chicken wrap was too spicy for me and instead of sour cream he came back with a whole new wrap!  I felt rude not eating the whole thing again but it was that tasty it wasn’t such a hard challenge! 

On Friday most of the riders had arrived and a Press Conference was held.  It’s the first time I’ve ever sat at the front with a microphone and I tried not to show how nervous I was.  I wasn’t so much asked a question, rather asked to say a few words about the event and for a split second I panicked, had no words to say then all of a sudden I started waffling and all was fine again.  Some snacks and a chance to chat to other riders filled the rest of the afternoon and after showing some guys from Dubai the square as if I were now a local I joined them for one final dinner at my favorite restaurant. 


Pre race day is finally here now, it seems a lifetime ago that I waved Rob off at Leeds bus station and I am very much over the honking of horns and hustle and bustle of Shimla.  I planned the morning spot on.  We were to all ride behind a taxi carrying our bags through the morning down to the race hotel.  Knowing the hotel had a swimming pool (distraught to find it closed a little later!!) I came down behind an early taxi in kit ready to ride.  The rooms were to be ready in 20 minutes and knowing Indian time I headed out for a ride knowing by the time I got back the room may actually be ready.  True enough, 2 hours later having filled my lungs with some more truck fumes before finding a quiet road all be it way down the mountain, I came back to find my room just about ready.  My last night in a real bed before heading off into the unknown tomorrow begins.  With temperatures predicted of anything up to 30 degrees and down to minus 4 at night tonight I will make the most of four walls and a thick duvet!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment