Monday 4 February 2013

EP Herald Extreme Quest, Port Elizabeth 3-4 th Feb


After Barberton last week I did what I always do when I come out to somewhere sunny, have all the free time in the world and get given a nice new bike … overtrain!  Despite Barberton knocking me for six I then did 5 hours on Sunday and so on.  Using our new brytongps at least I was able to see my heart rate on a ‘tempo’ ride not go above 140 and backed off before the weekend.

Saturday was the mountain bike event, 80km from Addo out into the mountains.  A huge amount has gone into creating some fantastic single track where this year’s XC course will be held. By then though I’d been hanging on for grim death along the gravel road yo yoing at the back.  Hitting the sharp steep hills in the single track I couldn’t muster up any power and watched the front 3 girls ride away.  I recovered a bit and started pulling back a few riders up the pass.  Riding into a water point I heard a marshal shout ‘don’t turn right’ so continued along the track.  After a while I had a de ja vu, the tracks looked very familiar and soon I was back on the XC course.  With no one around I realized I’d gone wrong and eventually came out back onto the pass.  Back tracking down the road I finally spotted some markers so went up and joined the route again.  Not overly impressed with myself for not confirming I was going right I got my head down and rode onto the finish.  I kept the pace high just to get to the end whereas in hindsight I should have just backed off and enjoyed the fantastic water points especially the last one, which even had a paddle pool!!  Finally I crossed the line, I had been lying in 4th not too far behind Marissca but now all the girls looked liked they’d been in hours so I figured my detour had been a pretty big one! 

Sunday and we had a lie in till all of 4.30, an extra hour on yesterday!  The 6.10 am start saw just the elite ladies roll away in our own batch.  With a strong head wind the pace was really slow which for once I really appreciated.  Soon Toyota started attacking sending some youngsters up the road.  The counterattacks sped the whole race up a bit and soon Sharon Laws was away up an early climb while no one else could hold her wheel.  ‘5km climb’ came next and I surprised myself by been able to respond to Ashleigh’s attacks.  Finally the 4th dig by her was enough to crack us and she rode off while we regrouped into a fairly small chasing group of 6 or 7.  With the men gradually coming back it was no surprise to see girls tagging back into our group though at least a number of them were disqualified at the end.  After a fast tailwind home our group sprinted for 3rd place and I was quite content with a 7th place.  Not the results I wanted from the weekend but I now know I must be more patient and let my legs come when they are ready!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment