Sunday 19 May 2013

Nedbank Sani2C Stage Race 16th May – 18th May 2013




Only 2 weeks after finishing in Scottburgh for Joberg2c we were on our journey again to the sea, thankfully this time from a little further down the country!  Staying the night before just under the Sani Pass I think this is one of the most beautiful places in the country and me and Yolandi were both looking forward to some of the best views and single track riding a stage race can offer.

Day One from Underberg and we had the luxury of an 8am start.  Unlike last year where we froze in minus 2 degrees on the start line this year was a lot milder and we raced away with the sunshine.  Even after both the trail and adventure riders the route was perfect and the single track nicely compressed down.  Having followed Jarryd for 9 days my single track riding has definitely improved and each time we emerged we had a small gap on the other ladies team of Ischen and Robyn.  However they got the better of us on the climbs, my legs still felt heavy and both of us still had the remains of a cold from J2c and they rode away to finish at MacKenzie a few minutes in front leaving us with 2nd place. 

Day Two to Jolivet started with the rain at 2 in the morning.  It then stopped but started again just as it was time to get up.  With a 6.10am start planned dragging yourself out of the tent at 4 something in the rain is one of the biggest challenges of stage races, At 6.10 it was still pitch black, we had a short delay, time for one more coffee then we gathered in the dark in the rain waiting for the sun to make its appearance.  These days make good bonding days and you have to carry a sense of humor along for the ride otherwise it’s a long day out for both riders.  Riding down into the Umkomaas valley I was very nervous, me and mud even though I’m British don’t really go together well but today seeing other people struggle a lot more than me I relaxed, found a perfect wheel in Graeme from Merrill to follow and had such a laugh.  I have never enjoyed a descent like today, yes it took a long time but it was more like been out with your mates in the forest falling all over on a social ride than been in a race.  I had one near fall ending up facing backwards bike and all like a planned pirouette but other than that both me and Yolandi got to the bottom unscathed and just behind the leading ladies.  Mud clogged up everything including behind my contacts but it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as the Worlds last year and soon it was drying up nicely and the pace picked up.  We passed the other girls at the feed fixing Ischen’s seat post which had dropped then yo yo’ d with them until we finally had a gap and were both spurred on.  Joberg2c and the illness Yolandi had caught from there mixed with cramp and a cold start took its toll and while I felt a lot better than yesterday we were slowly chased back and came in 2nd again.  With a big time gap to 1st and a big one to 3rd at least the pressure is off for tomorrow. 

Day three to Scottbrough and the organizers were trying a new idea, to start batches A and B later so there was more atmosphere at the finish.  It gave those who weren’t dashing off home a chance to see the top guys finish on the beach and gave us a couple of extra hours in bed.  I felt very smug waking at five, wandering to the bathroom then curling up back up in my sleeping back with my furry hot water bottle (20 nights in a race village tent so far this year, I need a little luxury!!)  I dozed in between alarms going of then finally woke to the sound of Paul Ventor and Doug Bird start their marathon day of seeing riders off and welcoming them back many hours later.  We left Jolivet at 11 after a pleasant morning socializing with coffee and rusks then a last minute panic to get to the start line on time.  We rode the day nicely, no mechanical problems or crashes, Yolandi is a rider you can trust will get her bike and body through a stage race with the experience she has and she manages to ride the trails missing all the ruts and ditches I often end up in.  She wasn’t feeling 100% and I felt fine so was happy not holding onto the groups and rather sit in the wind at a more constant pace than the surges you get in a group. We caught Melt up who was riding on his own and thought he’d waited which I thought was such a caring thing to do until he disappeared again and Yolandi told me he was having a mare with his tyre keeping it inflated.  The rest of the race was like the Hare and Tortoise for him, catch us, quick chat then stop again.  Luckily it stayed up long enough so we all went over the new floating bridge to the finish line together.  The bridge is the first of its kind, 800 m it winds through the sea.  Luckily it was low tide so it didn’t bob too much but did move enough to feel very odd and scary!  I didn’t want to loose my tools and make my remaining crunches in my pocket soggy!!  We finished 2nd again to winners Ischen Stopforth and Robyn De Groot of Biogen who raced a solid race together and will no doubt team up again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment