Saturday 11 May 2013

Wellington MTN MTB Marathon Series 11/5/13




After Joberg2C finished I retreated to my paradise in Stellenbosch at Ride In to relax and catch up of many hours of lost sleep.  The only trouble been the close distance from Jonkershoek and not having a lot else to do I did maybe ride a bit too much, but that was fine, my legs weren’t fresh in Wellington but it had been an amazing week of single track fun and café stops.

The race started at a respectable time of 7.50am, (I love winter here for this reason!!) I really needed a steady flat start but was faced with a mountain from the gun and half way up I saw all the top contenders ride away.  My heart rate was up there which I was surprised to see but my legs had nothing, they weren’t sore they just didn’t want to go any harder.  Once at the top things didn’t improve as my coordination was all over and I made a real hash of the descent. 

Once down and alone I changed mindset, it was such a beautiful day and we were riding over some great trails with the mountains in the background so I started to enjoy the ride.  I chatted to the ultra men and stopped at the feed before the climbing started again.  Up ahead I spotted Amy. I caught her up and followed her down the single track we’d done in the Epic.  It was a complete deja vu of following Yolande down there in the same kit though Amy 1) didn’t get a flat like Yolande did there and 2) managed to get some air a few times… youth definitely on her side!! 

Once we started climbing I passed Amy and caught Cherise.  My legs were finally coming back.  Gavin from Ride In had said I might struggle early on but I had to laugh that it took 50km to really get going. I enjoyed the race feeling the rest of the race until the last 4 or 5km where I started paying for my brief efforts, luckily the hill I had cursed 4 hours earlier meant we at least had a downhill finish and I crossed the line 5th, just sneaking into the presentation and winning enough for a few more café stop rides before I go home!

Mariske Strauss 1st
Jennie Stanerhag 2nd
Robyn de Groot 3rd  



No comments:

Post a Comment